via Sweet Beet & Green Bean
Adapted from this vegan version, creamy but salty & rich like autumn! I like mixing mine into café au lait for a mid-morning treat.
- 1/2 c butter [1 stick]
- 1 c turbinado sugar
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 3/4 c whole milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot [or corn starch]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In large pan over low heat, melt together the butter, sugar and maple syrup. Cook right about 5 min, stirring constantly, until all melted & a few bubbles appear. Be careful not too leave it unattended while cooking, sugars are fickle molecules and will harden if cooked too long.
- Dissolve arrowroot in milk, whisking until incorporated. Cut the heat & pour into melted mixture described above.
- Turn heat to medium & gently stir until bubbles appear again. Remove from heat, adding vanilla & sea salt, which should be ground fine. Consistency should be a heavy syrup that thickens into dip upon cooling.
- While still hot, pour the mixture into glass jars that have been sterilized & are already hot to the touch. Keeps in the fridge for several weeks; make friends smile when given as a surprise. If it begins to separate, give it a little stir.