With the lingering humidity of early summer upon us, iced beverages are on the brain in this house. And since little muffin is such an early bird, I've been indulging in small batches of Thai Iced Coffee, where the nuance of cardamom makes all the difference:
- 3/4 cup French roast or other darkly roasted coffee beans
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup-1 can sweetened condensed milk (to taste)
- Crushed ice as needed
- In a coffee grinder, combine the coffee beans and cardamom pods, pulsing until finely ground, about 15 seconds. Transfer the coffee mixture to the filter of a drip coffeemaker or large french press. Fill the top of the coffeemaker with the water and brew according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the coffee to a heatproof pitcher & stir in 14 oz (1 can) sweetened condensed milk. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Fill glasses 1/3 full with crushed ice or half full with cubed ice & pour cooled coffee over iced. Stir again & serve.