It looks as bloody as it sounds, right? Zesty, saucy, muted heat. After trying this Muhammara Slather on kabobs last summer, it felt as if an adaptation was due for date night lamb. All that remained was a bone for Anna. If you enjoy gin, this dish is perfectly complimented by a Lemon-Ginger Honeymoon.
Slather ingredients (should leave some extra for dipping):
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- Mix all ingredients & pour into a gallon sized Ziploc bag with 2 lamb shanks. Seal & slosh bag around to evenly coat meat. Refrigerate for 2-6 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place slathered lamb, in a lidded roasting pan or clay pot that is large enough to hold the meat in a tightly packed layer. Turn to mix the ingredients & coat the lamb. Cover the pan & roast for 1 hour.
- Turn the shanks over & continue roasting, uncovered, until the meat is falling off the bones, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer the shanks to a platter. Moisten them with some of the cooking juices & serve right away over wilted spinach or arugula.