- 2 cups split peas
- 3 carrots, chopped super thin
- pearled barley
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 5 cups veg broth & 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp fine-grain sea salt or 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 2-3 bay leaves
- juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve the zest)
- Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions, garlic & salt until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the broth, water, split peas, carrots, barley & bay leaves. Bring to a boil, dial down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through (but still a touch al dente).
- Using a large cup or mug ladle half of the soup into a bowl and set aside. Using a hand blender (or regular blender) puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. Stir the reserved (still chunky) soup back into the puree - you should have a soup that is nicely textured. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Stir in the lemon juice, kale & heat through. Taste. If the soup needs more salt, add more a bit at a time (or add soy sauce) until the flavor of the soup really pops.
- Ladle into bowls or cups, and serve each drizzled with olive oil and topped with a good pinch of smoked paprika and a touch of lemon zest.