Whatever 24-hour fever Elijah had on Sunday, it sucker punched me yesterday. For the first time in my adult life, I feel why people get flu shots. Misery for a day or two is one thing; people who ache with fever & chills for a week or more? No thank you. Speaking of thanks, my quick recovery is due in part to friends/neighbors who let Elijah play at their house while I sleep & to Mama Dompe for the juicer she insisted I take home. Thank you, thank you!
The stash on my nightstand: thermometer, coconut water (to balance electrolytes & rehydrate), ibuprofen, zinc lozenges, elder berry extract. Meals were limited to juice & soup. Breakfast=juicing chard, carrot & apple. Lunch=egg drop soup (homemade broth). Dinner=juicing carrot, ginger root & apple + more egg drop soup.
Egg Drop Soup
- 4-6 cups homemade chicken broth (our is frozen into cubes for times like this)
- 2 shallots & half a clove garlic
- 1 carrot & 1 stalk celery
- 2-3 eggs whisked together
- sea salt to taste (or soy sauce if you prefer)
- bring chicken broth to a rolling boil
- while broth warms, saute shallots-garlic-carrot-celery in sesame oil
- add contents of saute pan to broth & reduce to a trembling boil
- slowly pour eggs through the whisk into the pot & stir so the egg gets that silky-poached texture & turn burner off