At baby bedtime, it's still pretty bright outside. So mama concocted a batch of sleepy balm to rub on the temples & chest for dreamy wafting smells all night. A bit flowery, perfectly delightful & soothing, very gentle on the skin. I used less wax than other recipes to account for coconut oil being solid at room temp.
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp beeswax (.5 oz)
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops chamomile or geranium essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- In small saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler, combine oils with wax & gently warm until wax has just melted.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool 5 min & add essential oils. Stir to blend.
- Pour into storage container(s). Allow to cool 20 min before capping containers.
- No refrigeration required, but freshest when used within 6 months.
A little salve goes a long way when applied under the nose, on the throat, temples, hands, &/or chest just before bedtime. Also relaxing when suffering from a headache, nervous tension or anxiety (like when babe's molars are cutting).
I find coconut oil to be great for cradle cap, so after coating my hands in this balm I sometimes rub it all over baby's head. Immensely helpful with a touchy/fussy one like Os in the afternoons.